Thursday, March 12, 2009

Route 9 Improvements Update

In order to get the most up-to-date information about the Route 9 changes I contacted Connecticut Department of Transportation (CT DOT).

Unfortunately, the project has stalled since the last update I had received about a year ago.

At that time I knew that the preliminary design has been finalized. And that CT DOT submitted a request for funding to do the engineering and environmental assessment work for the south end interchange. CT DOT also submitted a request for funding to undertake an Environmental Impact Statement for the north end interchange.

I was not aware that these requests for federal funding have received a decision. They just aren't a funding priority.

If these projects were funded, the south end would take about two years to complete the engineering and environmentals. The north end would take considerably longer.

Previous estimates suggested 2011-2013 timeframe for construction to begin on the south end interchange. The assumption now is that the project is indefinitely postponed.

I asked if the Federal Stimulus funding would help in this situation and the reply was that it would have no positive impact in moving the project forward.


Here are the designs from 2006.

Phase 1 (South End)
http://www.middletownplanning.com/documents/Route9/RT.9_impr_design_2006_001.pdf (1MB)

Phase 2 (North End)
http://www.middletownplanning.com/documents/Route9/RT.9_impr_design_2006_005.pdf (1MB)

No comments:

Post a Comment